Saturday, December 16, 2006

Final Test Schedule From Hell.

So around the middle of October I check the final exam schedule to see what my last week of school is going to look like since all of my professor's stated that the final is mandatory. I am taking 6 classes so that meant 6 tests. No big deal I thought until I realized that all 6 of them were in a 24 hr time period. One on Monday night and five on Tuesday.

I knew that every University has a policy that allows you to reschedule your tests if you have so many within in a certain time period. So I go and look online and can't find anything. I call the department office, they can't find it. They refer me to the business school office, they can't find it either. Next is the student services office.................! I end up talking to the President's office who took my name and number and told me they would call me back. About an hour later I get a phone call from the Senior Provost for Academic Affairs. The conversation as I remember it goes like this.

Me-Hello
Provost- Hello this is Dr. so and so. Sorry.
Me- For what?
Provost- It appears we don't have a policy limiting how many finals you can take in a day.
Me- Your kidding
Provost- We thought we had one, but apparently we never "Put it on the books".
Me- Then I am supposed to do what?
Provost- Don't worry we will take care of it for next year.
Me- How does that help me this year.?
Provost- Uh......it doesn't. Try asking your professor's to let you switch
Me- I already tried that. I wouldn't be calling you if I had worked it out.
Provost- Then good luck!
Me- Wow

Apparently I attend the only University in the state that will allow you to be schedule for 6 tests in 24 hrs that each count for at least 40% of you overall grade. Hey at least I got a policy change out of the deal. Maybe I should cut out that section of the 2007-2008 catalog and put it next to my diploma.

No comments: